MASTER CLASS: Poetry with Monica Youn
October 3 @ 9:00 am - October 7 @ 12:00 pm
Application based master class for advanced poets
The Poet’s Toolkit with Monica Youn
About the Master Class:
In this course, students will hone and sharpen their poetic craft through an intensive focus on the materials and techniques of their art form. Starting from the smallest increment of the poem – the individual word or sound, students will engage in a series of exercises that are designed to deepen their appreciation of structure, craft, and form. We will devote special attention to the ways in which poetry can participate in the characteristic techniques of other art forms and genres. Reading assignments will include the work of contemporary and canonical poets and other artists whose works serve as exemplars for certain formal strategies.
- This master class is by application only via Submittable.
- There is a $10 non-refundable application fee.
- Applications are accepted April 1 through June 1, 2022.
- To be considered for the class, please submit up to 12 pages of poetry (one poem per page) along with a goal statement for the class.
- Please click the button below to submit your work via Submittable.
- Applications will be notified by July 15, 2022, of their status.
- The class will be held in-person Monday through Friday, October 3 – 7, 9 am – noon, at Write On, 4210 Juddville Rd., Fish Creek.
- Class size is limited to 12 participants.
- Write On will adhere to current public health guidelines regarding health and safety of all participants.
- Individual brief consultations with Monica will be scheduled during the week.
- The week includes a reading with Monica and some social opportunities.
- Tuition for the master class is $700. Write On members receive a 10% discount. To become a member and save, please click here.
- Participants are responsible for securing their own housing for the week. For a listing of accommodations, please visit Destination Door County. We strongly recommend reserving housing when you apply; your reservation can always be cancelled if your application is not accepted. Door County is very popular in October and lodging can be difficult to find if you wait until the summer to book.
About Monica Youn:
Monica Youn is the author of Blackacre (Graywolf Press 2016), which won the William Carlos Williams Award of the Poetry Society of America. It was also shortlisted for the National Book Critics Circle Award and the Kingsley Tufts Award, longlisted for the National Book Award, and named one of the best poetry books of 2016 by the New York Times, the Washington Post, and BuzzFeed. Her previous book Ignatz (Four Way Books 2010) was a finalist for the National Book Award.
She has been awarded the Levinson Prize from the Poetry Foundation, a Guggenheim Fellowship, a Witter Bytter Fellowship from the Library of Congress, and a Stegner Fellowship. A former lawyer, she is a member of the curatorial collective the Racial Imaginary Institute and a professor at UC Irvine. Her fourth book FROM FROM is forthcoming from Graywolf Press in March 2023.