A selection committee organized by Write On, Door County nominates a qualified individual to serve as the Door County Poet Laureate. The Door County Board of Supervisors approves the nomination. The appointment of Poet Laureate is two years.
The purpose of the Poet Laureate appointment is to raise the county consciousness to a greater level of appreciation for the reading and writing of poetry and to serve as a literary ambassador to the community. Among the duties of the Poet Laureate are:
- to encourage and support local poets;
- to build a greater audience for poetry through readings and other events;
- to work with community agencies, schools, libraries, senior citizen groups, service clubs, or church societies on readings, workshops, or other events utilizing the talents of area poets or poetry groups.;
- to utilize the media to promote poetry;
- to occasionally compose a commemorative poem for a special Door County occasion if requested by the chair of a Door County governmental unit (and if mutually agreed upon);
- to bring his/her individual talents and strengths to build a personal agenda which will carry out the mission;
- to keep a log or notebook of activities accomplished and publicity about such activities during the term of appointment.
The selection committee ideally consists of the current and at least one past Door County Poet Laureate, a representative of Write On, a county English teacher, a librarian, and an individual representing the community. The committee considers the following criteria when nominating an individual for the post:
- ability to carry out the duties of the position;
- quality of poetry and publication history;
- contributions to the Door County poetry community;
- recognition locally, regionally, and beyond in the poetry community;
- worthiness of the honor of the position of Door County Poet Laureate.